Easy cookie ice cream cups

I am one of the strangest bakers you will meet. I can make some really complex stuff, but I cannot make those premade cookie dough cookies you buy in the cold section of the grocery store. I've tried so many times it's not even funny. They either burn, stay raw or worse yet...the chips burn to the baking sheet and the cookies are hard as rocks. Yuck! Unfortunately for my children I'm cheap and there is a local store that always sells these thing at a huge discount. I can't resist. *sigh* Poor kids. 

make cookie cups for ice cream

I believe it was after a burnt multicolored Easter chip episode that I started sticking them into muffin tins. This works out pretty good, but I have to let them bake an extra few minutes since they stay thicker this way. However, I did stumble upon a fun summer treat one day when I took them out too early. If you take them out before the middles are completely set, then the middles fall in making a cup like shape. 

This is perfect for putting a small scoop of ice cream in for a mini cookie sundae. I added some strawberry ice cream and whipped cream to these for an awesome summer snack. If you take them out on time, you can give the tray a thump (kind of drop it on the counter) and the middles should still fall in a bit to make room for the ice crream.

baking cookies

Best part is, you can mix and match cookie flavors and ice cream flavors....even use flavored whipped cream if that's what floats your boat. You save on tons of time by cheating and using premade dough. They are super fast to whip up and never fail to make the kids smile!

~L     

10 comments:

  1. Yum! I will have to see if my supermarket carries red velvet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only saw that flavor the 1 time, but they always have something new every season so I'm sure it will be back!


      ~L

      Delete
  2. How clever! I pinned this post so I can do this with my grandkids...they would love this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun idea! I can't wait to make this for July 4th! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lisa! Congratulations, your yummy ice cream cookies are one of my tasty Tuesday features this week! They look so good and I loved your story too! Thanks for sharing and Happy Fourth to you and yours!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I snagged the button right away! I feel so honored!


      ~L

      Delete
  5. What a very clever tip! Thank you for sharing it at Tuesdays with a Twist! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love your blog hop, thanks for hosting it every week...it must be so much work!


      ~L

      Delete